Sunday, July 3, 2011

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson



5/5 Stars

B&N:

When Melinda Sordino's friends discover she called the police to quiet a party, they ostracize her, turning her into an outcast -- even among kids she barely knows. But even worse than the harsh conformity of high-school cliques is a secret that you have to hide.

This is Laurie Halse Anderson's award-winning, highly acclaimed, and controversial novel about a teenager who chooses not to speak rather than to give voice to what really happened to her.

My Review:

I've read this book a few times. It's an easy read in the sense that the format is not straight on prose. This book is one of my favorites due to the way the author presents a strong emotional topic.

The characters are real and dealing with a situation that unfortunately happens too often. And just like Melanie, girls don't always know how to speak up.

I am happy to say that my old high school has put this book as on of the choices on the summer reading list. I think girls should definitely read this.

1 comment:

Espana said...

The author really captures Melinda's emotions so that the reader can relate to them, but some of the other parts of the novel are kind of unrealistic, like the entire school hating Melinda for crashing the party. I just can't see that everyone would hate her. But other than that, it's pretty realistic.