Friday, March 2, 2012

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


5/5 Stars
B&N:


Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker–his classmate and crush–who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

My Review:

I read this book when it first came out (a couple of years ago), and I loved it. I have no idea how I missed putting it in this blog!

It became one of my favorite books. I loved how raw it was. Also, the format of it was incredibly interesting. The way the author had to the story go from present time, to past, and then with the tapes and listening to Hannah...just amazing.

I can't believe it was the author's first book.

In fact, it stayed in hard cover extra long because the sales were doing so well (I emailed the author about when it was going to be put into paperback way back when, and that was his answer.).

I do recommend this book to my 8th grade students because I fell it leaves a lasting important message (Also- see the book Speak for another one all teen girls should read!).

There is one really "adult" part. It's only a line or two, but you can see why the author puts it there. I explain this to the students. (Also, I keep this book behind my desk so that I can monitor who wants to read it and such. I also always have a discussion with the students after they read it.) The author put this part (hot tub scene) in the book to really show Hannah finally giving up.

Again, this is one of the most amazing books I've read and will keep recommending it.

No comments: