Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Series #2) by James Dashner




4/5 Stars

B&N:


Thomas and the gladers thought they were safe. They thought they were glad to leave the danger of the maze far behind them. They were wrong. In one night, all their new-found security is ripped away, replaced by a new set of dangers: the Scorch, an area of land decimated by solar flares, brutal weather, and populated by the Cranks, people who are infected with a disease called the flare. Teresa is gone, in her place a boy who speaks of having survived another maze. Then a man appears telling them they have two weeks to travel one hundred miles of the Scorch to reach a safe haven, which will make escaping the maze look like child's play. The Scorch Trials is the second book in the trilogy that began with the best seller The Maze Runner (Random House, 2009/VOYA December 2009), picking up right where it left off. Dashner writes at a suspenseful pace, weaving twists and turns into chapters that flow seamlessly together, culminating in a stunning cliff-hanger ending. Themes of moral dilemmas and survival amidst a deadly landscape make the danger even more chilling and heart-stopping. Readers will be on the edge of their seats with this thrilling story, and it is also makes a great match for fans of The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins (Scholastic Press). Reviewer: Susan Hampe

My Review:

Ok, so when I first read The Maze Runner I only thought it was "OK." But, as I went back to think about it, I liked it more and more. I finally got around to reading the second one, The Scorch Trials, and I must say, I really liked it. The author did a great job picking up where he left off and really made it so I couldn't stop reading it. There were some decent twists to this book, and I for one could not predict what was going to happen (which is big- because I can usually predict almost every detail).

I'll definitely be reading the last in the series that came out this month!

No comments: